Thursday, April 7, 2011

There is a cleaning frenzy going on in here!!!!!

So, I survived the dreaded opening of the front door to see my cleaning lady. 

I praise God right now that I did not have to say any of the things that I rehearsed all morning.  Let's just say - I am not the best under pressure.  I tend to say WAY more than I should and I tend to say all the wrong things when I feel nervous.  I mean well but this girl does more harm than good in this type situation.  God granted me the gift of "shut up stupid and just let it be what it is."  Meaning, just LISTEN.  Which is another area I struggle in.  So this is how it went....

I opened the door to a very excited cleaner.  She hugged my neck (we do that each time she comes, which makes the whole calling her out thing feel like I am calling out my mom or something) and thanked me over and over again for calling her and apologizes for the whole thing. 

My first words, "You know how hard it was to call you, don't you?  I did not want to have to call you to come back because you have always done such a great job."

"No worries.  We are here to fix everything.  You just show me what you want fixed."

"Okay, well this and this and well this and oh yeah this," as I point out things like Vanna White. 

But by this time, I was okay with where I was at.  I was okay with just letting her apologize and fix it. And not trying to make her feel better but letting her just do her job.  And it felt good to know she would fix it.  I did not have to apologize and beg her to forgive me for calling her back.  She just wanted to correct it and make me happy. 

She actually brought 2 different girls with her than the one she brought with her on Monday.  They went right to work and even cleaned somethings that were cleaned on Monday (SCORE).  They did not stop until it was all done.  They even mopped, which then left the smell of - oh yeah I am house that has been clean - throughout the house!  The stairs were vacuumed and all the wooden blinds were dusted.

And in the end when they were about to leave, I was asked to walk around to make sure it was perfect.  I did not need to though.  I knew it was (but she made me).  I knew it was because the only goal of my sweet cleaner was to do the job right!  She did admit that she failed to check the house before they left on Monday to make sure her girl had done the job she was supposed to do.  She agreed the downstairs was not done correctly and she was sorry for how it was left.  She thanked me for calling her and asked me to always call.  "Never be worried to call if it is not right." 

So, to some of you this may not seem like a big deal.  For me it was a HUGE deal. I think I learned somethings with this one.  Taking Chan to school, I asked him to pray for me this morning to handle the situation as God would want me too.  Ummm again my mouth gets me into trouble way more than it should.  Lesson 1:  Pray to God to shut my mouth up when my talking doesn't help the situation.  

Chan's response was one of probably any 12 year old, "Ok but why?  She is just coming to clean not fight and wasn't she here like just last week?" 

"Ummm, that was on Monday, this week, that she was here and I do not want her feelings hurt."  Lesson 2: Most cleaners (and people) aren't looking for a fight and she after all was just coming to clean (and she cleaned with a joy in her heart that I called her).

Lesson 3: Is to just listen.  Be ready because here it comes - I TALK TOO MUCH!  It used to hurt my feelings if someone would say that but after having my sweet daughter, I SO GET IT. (that is a story for another day)  Point being - God allowed me to just listen to the apologies and accept them.  NOT OWN THEM (which I so do.  I try to make other's mistakes mine and apologize profusely to them. WHY?  so they will feel better!) but just accept the person's apologies as theirs to own. 

Now, I am quite sure I am not cured from my renegade mouth, my failure to listen, or even my wanting to take on other's mistakes as my own, but I will say my heart is filled with joy.  It is filled with joy because I kept a housekeeper that was gracious in accepting her role in the situation, corrected it and that I did not take on the extra burden that was not mine to own. Also, that I listened to God's voice in telling me when to be quiet, when to speak, and that I made it through a "confrontation" with not even a scratch.  But most importantly, my heart is filled with joy in knowing that God is still here and continues to work on me daily.  I am sure it will be a long work in progress but it is where I am!

Disclaimer - I am not the best at grammar, spelling, or science.  Thank you for understanding. 

No comments: