Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I am sorry but.....

I am sorry - let me clean that for you after I just paid you to clean my house.  Ok so I do not think I am a pushover at all but I DO NOT like confrontation at all (I know a few of you may think differently but you just saw me in a rare moment).  Generally, I do not like hurting people's feelings.  I get sad and very very nervous having to confront someone.  I would rather just let things slide than have to call you out, but will if pressed.  I just don't want to.


I was soooo excited for the day, my cleaning lady would once again waltz into my home and clean until everything had a perfect sparkle.  I had let her go almost 2 years ago when my husband had lost his job.  He was without a legal job (not that he did illegal jobs during the layoff, he is an attorney) for 13 months.  Believe me, a maid was not on the budget.  But oh how the kids and I loved her.  We would dream of the day she would be back.  So the very first thing out of my son, Chan's, mouth when he heard Daddy had a job was "Can we get our cleaner back".  John has been working for a year now but I found it hard to run out and spend the money on someone to clean when I had done such a fabul - oh who am I kidding - I suck at cleaning but still, it is a lot of money when you are used to counting every penny to buy food and the such. 


So I just finally broke down and called my sweet cleaning lady whom I adore.  The BIG day was this past Monday!  I woke up so excited, making sure the kids had there rooms ready to be clean (b/c you have to clean before they come to clean), and the dogs were outside.  She showed up and got to work. 


Life was perfect in my little world.  Ahhhhh crap.  They did not mop, dust, empty the trash in all the barely used rooms, or clean the kitchen sink.  I am sure if I kept looking I would find more stuff but I am not picky!  "Well, I guess I will get to work cleaning seeing as how I just handed you a nice little check and I am stupid for not stopping you from leaving," I thought. A little later my mother showed up and made the comment that she thought the cleaner was supposed to come.  Ok really!  It is that bad.  Time to grow a pair.  It only took me 2 and half days to call her.  I hung up twice before she answered and then prayed really hard that God would give me the right words so I would not hurt her feelings.  It went somewhat like this -


"Ummmm hey, It's Jennifer and ummmmmm well ummmmm I am not sure if everything was done on Monday.  Ummmmmm, I am so sorry to bother you about this but ummmmmmm did you mop or dust at all.  I mean if you did great but if not, I noticed.  (yay me!  I got through that)


"You do not like how it is clean?"


"Ummmmmmm, you have always done a great job in the past but I am not happy with Monday's work."  There I said it!  Now what you gotta say for yourself? (That was just in my head.  Made me feel like I could take NO Prisoners.)


"Ok, I come back tomorrow, and I make it all perfect for you."


You Dang right you will and you will work until I say quit. (again in my head).
"Ummmmmm, I am really sorry about this and me not liking it and you having to come back over to redo it and all.  I feel horrible."


So, lessons learned from this little exchange -


1.  I am a wimp.  I said it.  I am learning to sit with it.  I just want everyone to be happy. 


2.  I was not happy so me wanting everyone to be happy wasn't working.


3.  I really should not apologize for others mistakes.


4.  I really over used ummmmm in this conversation and wonder if I overuse it in every conversation. 


5.  I really love my cleaner and really want her to clean well but I will fight any urge I have to come and clean behind her. 


God works on me daily and this is a learning moment for me.  I know this is her job and if she wants to keep her job she would want to make her clients happy.  We have several friends who have used her as well from our recommendations.  I will apologize less tomorrow and just be honest with what I would like different.  Hoping no feelings are hurt and a job will be done well.  And that would make me HAPPY!

2 comments:

Brandie said...

Welcome back to blogging!!

Jenn said...

Thanks Brandie! I am enjoying it!